Against the Light - Chapter 105

Chapter 105: Time for a Check-Up

Seeing Yilan walking quickly ahead, Gu Xinran wanted to call out to her again. But with so many people watching from behind, she couldn't risk embarrassing her. Instead, she kept quiet and jogged to catch up.

Bai Yilan sensed someone closing in on her rapidly. Just as she was about to turn, she let out a soft gasp as Xinran wrapped her arms around her waist from behind.

"Still running?" Gu Xinran murmured close to her ear.

Bai Yilan quickly glanced back toward the bonfire.

"Back to the tent," Gu Xinran said in a low voice.

With an arm locked around her waist, Bai Yilan couldn't resist and had no choice but to let Gu Xinran lead her back to the tent.

The moment they were inside, Bai Yilan tried to pull away, but Gu Xinran was one step ahead. In a swift motion, she turned and hoisted Bai Yilan over her shoulder.

"Hey! Xinran! Put me down! Stop fooling around…"

"Fooling around?" Hearing that, Gu Xinran's short fuse finally burned out.

"What did you tell me on the phone? Hmm?"

"You didn't tell me you were having trouble adjusting to the environment? You didn't mention the vomiting and diarrhea? You ate iced watermelon when your period is due? And just a moment ago, you were still lying to me, saying work wasn't busy, that you were well-rested, and that you were being so good."

"You call this being good?" Gu Xinran retorted.

Bai Yilan was speechless. "I… I was afraid you'd worry…"

"Oh? So if you don't tell me, I won't worry? Who do you think you're kidding?"

"I… Just put me down first. I'm dizzy…"

The moment she heard that, although Gu Xinran was still angry, her body acted honestly, and she gently placed Bai Yilan on the bed.

She leaned over to look at her face. It was flushed, and she couldn't help but curse herself inwardly.

"Are you okay?"

Seeing Xinran's concerned expression, Bai Yilan was reminded for a moment of how Lu Qing had faked being sick to trick Sister Yan. If she told Xinran now that she was unwell and in pain, Xinran would surely stop scolding her.

But…

"Actually… I'm fine," Bai Yilan sighed.

Gu Xinran straightened up and looked at her. "If you'd said you were feeling unwell, I would have stopped nagging."

"I don't want to lie to you." Bai Yilan looked up at her, her eyes clear.

Their eyes met. Gu Xinran let out a soft laugh and dotingly ruffled her hair.

This silly girl.

"So, can you promise to be good from now on?"

Bai Yilan pouted slightly. "I'm not Xiao Ye…" she muttered under her breath.

"Hmm?"

"Mhm," she answered obediently.

Gu Xinran nodded, satisfied.

"Go change your clothes. I'll get you some water."

"Okay."

When Gu Xinran pushed aside the tent flap, she saw seven or eight figures scurrying away. She raised an eyebrow. Those guys actually dared to eavesdrop?

Gu Xinran returned to the tent with a basin of warm water and secured the flap.

Yilan had already changed into her pajamas and was tidying the bed.

"Let me do that. You go wash up," Gu Xinran said, taking over from her.

A short while later, they were both ready.

Bai Yilan had just sat on the edge of the bed when Gu Xinran gently pushed her down, making her lie on her stomach.

"Hey, don't—stop fooling around!" Bai Yilan exclaimed.

"Don't move," Gu Xinran chided gently, then began to expertly knead her waist and massage her back.

Realizing what Gu Xinran was doing, Bai Yilan's heart warmed. She settled down contentedly, no longer moving, and relaxed her body and mind.

After a while, Gu Xinran's movements softened. She leaned over to look at Yilan and heard the sound of her steady breathing.

This girl, she thought. She must have been truly exhausted to fall asleep so quickly.

Gu Xinran gently stroked her back, her senses filled with the faint floral scent from Yilan's skin.

She couldn't resist stealing a kiss on her soft, pale cheek. Then she turned off the light, wrapped her arms around her darling wife, and drifted off to sleep contentedly.


The next morning, the area outside the tent was bustling with noise.

Gu Xinran blinked her eyes open, feeling a little disoriented. It was only when she turned her head and saw Yilan that she remembered where she was.

Yilan was curled up in her arms, still sleeping soundly.

A look of pure contentment spread across Gu Xinran's face.

A short while later, seemingly disturbed by the noise outside, Yilan frowned slightly and shifted in her arms.

Gu Xinran patted her gently, then quietly slipped out of bed, threw on a jacket, and stepped outside.

The crew, who had been enjoying a lively breakfast, all froze when they saw her.

She had arrived late the previous night, so many who had gone to bed early hadn't seen her. Now, they were all staring at each other in confusion.

"Xinran? What are you doing here? Hey, didn't Sister Lan go home?"

Hearing the question, the few people who had been there the night before quickly explained.

"Oh, okay. I get it now."

"??? Is it really okay to be subjected to this public display of affection so early in the morning?"

"Suddenly, the bun in my hand doesn't taste so good anymore."

"Ugh, I'm so jealous. Why doesn't my girlfriend ever come visit me? Sob…"

"Oh, stop it. At least you have a girlfriend."

Gu Xinran gave a helpless little laugh.

"Isn't today a day off? Why is everyone up so early?"

"Ah, we're up early because it's a day off! After breakfast, we're planning to visit some nearby scenic spots. We've been here for so long and haven't gone anywhere. Do you two want to join?"

"Maybe later. You all go on ahead."

Gu Xinran stood with her hands on her hips for a moment. She had wanted to ask them to keep it down, but seeing how excited everyone was, she couldn't bring herself to say it. After a moment's thought, she turned and went back into the tent.

The moment she pushed the flap aside, she saw Yilan blinking, clearly not fully awake yet.

Seeing Yilan stretching, Gu Xinran walked over quickly and poked her in the side just as she extended her arms.

"Aah! Gu Xinran, you're terrible!"

Gu Xinran laughed, climbed onto the bed, and hugged her from behind.

"What are they doing out there?"

"Eating breakfast. They're planning to visit some nearby scenic spots later."

"Oh? Then let's go too."

"You want to go?"

"Mhm. It wasn't easy getting here," Bai Yilan said, sitting up and stretching.

"We can, but you have to finish your homework first," Gu Xinran said with a gentle smile.

"What? Homework?"

"Mhm." Gu Xinran walked over to the table, picked up a blank sheet of paper, and waved it in front of Yilan.

"On this piece of paper, write 'I will be good' one hundred times. When you're finished, we can go out and have fun," Gu Xinran said with an innocent smile.

"???" Bai Yilan was dumbfounded. She felt like she must be dreaming, so she flopped back down, ready to go back to sleep.

Gu Xinran set the pen and paper down. "You can leave this tent when you're done writing."

"…" It's all a dream.

Gu Xinran sat at the table, propping her chin on her hand, and watched with a grin as Yilan tossed and turned on the bed.

"Listen. Everyone has gone out to have fun."

"I hear it gets dark early here in the desert, and transportation isn't exactly convenient. If we leave much later, we'll have to turn back as soon as we get there."

"You…" Bai Yilan threw off the covers and glared at Gu Xinran, annoyed.

"Hmm?"

"I…" Bai Yilan started, then stopped. Making her write 'I will be good…' was just too embarrassing!

She was a grown woman, not a three-year-old!

"Xinran…"

"Mhm, I'm here."

"Could we… change the assignment?"

Gu Xinran raised an eyebrow. She glanced toward the tent flap and listened intently. It was quiet outside.

"I was just worried you were too tired and wanted you to rest. But since you're asking for something else, then I'll just…" As she spoke, Gu Xinran stood up and began unbuttoning the collar of her shirt, her fingers continuing down the placket.

"??? Wait! I didn't ask for that! I… I'll write. I'll write it." Bai Yilan instantly realized what she was implying. Her face flushed, and she quickly surrendered.

Gu Xinran let out a dramatic sigh and said it was a pity, but as she turned away, the smile in her eyes gave her away.

An easily flustered Yilan was just too cute!

Bai Yilan reluctantly got up, washed her face, and sat down at the table.

The moment she picked up the pen, she felt a wave of existential despair, covering her forehead as she contemplated her fate.

"Can I write something else?"

The words had barely left her mouth when Gu Xinran started unbuttoning her shirt again.

"Alright, I'll write, I'll write!"

She was utterly helpless.

Gu Xinran draped a jacket over her shoulders and sat beside her, watching her write.

"Write neatly. I'm going to frame it and hang it on our wall at home. When Xiao Ye is born, this can be our family motto."

"?? You wouldn't dare!"

"Just write."

"Then… don't watch me."

Seeing Yilan's awkwardness, Gu Xinran chuckled. "Alright. I'll go make you some breakfast. You be good and write, and don't even think about cutting corners. There's no getting out of this," she said, half-threatening, before heading out.

She deliberately lingered outside for a while to give Yilan plenty of time.

Half an hour later, Gu Xinran returned to the tent with breakfast.

She immediately saw Yilan lying face down on the bed, her face buried in a pillow as if she were too ashamed to be seen.

Gu Xinran found this highly amusing. She glanced at the table and saw rows of elegant script, perfectly neat—exactly one hundred repetitions, no more, no less.

Gu Xinran took a book, slipped the paper inside, and put the book in her bag for safekeeping. Then she went to the bed, lay down on her side, and patted the little turtle hiding in her shell.

She gently stroked her back. "There, there. Don't worry, I won't show it to anyone," Gu Xinran soothed. After all, Yilan had a public image to maintain—that of an independent, strong-willed woman—and Gu Xinran had to help protect it.

"You won't show anyone?" Bai Yilan finally turned her head to look at her.

"Of course not. This is our little secret. In front of the cameras, I don't even like people seeing me give you a quick kiss. Why would I share this?" Gu Xinran said with a smile, kissing the corner of Yilan's lips.

Bai Yilan pressed her lips together.

"From now on, if you're not feeling well, you have to tell me. Don't be afraid of making me worry. If I'm not worrying about you, who else should I be worrying about?"

"You wouldn't dare."

"I would, but I wouldn't want to."

"I can indulge you in anything, but when it comes to your health, you have to listen to me."

Gu Xinran chuckled, stroking her head and kissing her temple. "Hmm?"

A warmth spread through Bai Yilan's heart. She buried her face again and gave a muffled, "Mhm."

Comments