MQSP - Chapter 89
Chapter 89
After more than half a month of recuperation, Xinran's body had mostly recovered, and she could walk freely.
Today was the day Xinran was being discharged from the hospital. Lin Yuqing and Xiao Ye helped her pack her things while they waited for Fang Yi to pick them up and take them home.
Xia Xiaozi was at home preparing a meal to celebrate Xinran's discharge.
"That's strange. Auntie Fang said she left two hours ago. Why isn't she here yet?" Baiye looked at the time. The hospital wasn't far from their home.
"Should I give her another call?"
"Don't rush her. We don't want her to get distracted while driving," Xinran said, waving her hand.
Just as she spoke, the door was pushed open, and Xue Yuexian rushed in.
"Hey, Auntie, what are you doing here?"
"Quick, quick, follow me out the back door."
"What's going on? Where's Auntie Fang?"
"She can't make it." Xue Yuexian was panting heavily.
"What happened? Slow down and tell us," Lin Yuqing said quickly.
Xue Yuexian glanced at Xinran, then pulled Lin Yuqing aside.
"Reporters found out the Flower Witch is staying at this hospital and are clamoring to interview her. The main entrance is completely blocked. Also, a reporter took some photos during the disaster relief, and you were in them. They realized you were with the Flower Witch, so they want to interview you too. Fang Yi is trying to hold them off."
"We don't know if they're aware of Xinran's identity yet. If they find out, I'm worried those anti-gay activists will start making trouble again. Xinran has only just started to recover. If she has to go through something like that again, she…"
Lin Yuqing thought for a moment, then looked at the two who were still in the dark. "You take them out the back. I'll go deal with it."
"Hey, be careful! If someone tries to cause trouble, you better run fast!"
Lin Yuqing smiled. This woman's way of giving warnings was certainly unique.
"Xiao Ye, Xinran, you two go with Xue Yuexian first. I have something to take care of. I'll be back soon."
"What happened?"
"It's nothing. Go on, wait for me at home."
Baiye suppressed her worry, took two steps forward, and straightened Lin Yuqing's clothes. "Are you sure it's nothing?"
"Yes, it's nothing."
Once she was done, Lin Yuqing leaned down and kissed her on the forehead. "Go on."
She watched as Xue Yuexian led the two of them away. Xinran was right; some things were impossible to escape.
At the hospital's main entrance, Fang Yi was working with the hospital security to stop the reporters from entering. Fang Yi had once been a "gold medal" manager. After disappearing for over a decade, her sudden appearance here surprised some of the reporters who recognized her, making them even more certain that there was a big story to be uncovered.
"Lin Yuqing is coming out!"
Someone suddenly shouted. The agitated crowd fell silent for a moment, then became even more frenzied.
The reporters held up their voice recorders, trying to push past the security guards.
"What are you doing here? You should get out of here!"
Lin Yuqing waved her hand dismissively and stood on the steps, looking down at the dozens of reporters before her. "This is a hospital. The people coming and going are patients. What do you think you're doing, blocking the entrance?"
"You need to work, but don't other people need to work, too? Where is your professional etiquette?" Lin Yuqing's face was dark as she reprimanded them without reservation.
Her scolding left the crowd a little stunned.
Lin Yuqing swept her gaze over everyone, then started walking forward. The crowd automatically parted, creating a path for her, but they all followed closely behind.
After leading the reporters away from the hospital, Lin Yuqing finally turned around. "What are your questions?"
"Do you know the Flower Witch? We heard that during the earthquake relief, she was the one who organized everyone for an effective rescue. Were you there at the time? Who is she, exactly?"
Lin Yuqing nodded. "Six months ago, I was living in seclusion on Mount Kema and got to know the Flower Witch. She's a local florist and a very warm-hearted person."
"I have a question about the photos from the disaster relief. With things being so dangerous, you still had time to take pictures, and they were even published. Were you just putting on a show?"
Lin Yuqing paused, then turned to look at the reporter who asked the question with a smile. "Do you think I'm eager to be interviewed by you?"
"People like you should be sent to the front lines of disaster relief. Let you experience that kind of despair and fear for yourself. I believe that at that moment, even if someone put five million in front of you, you wouldn't give it a second glance. Because only after experiencing it do you realize that life is the most important thing—whether it's your own or someone else's."
"Saving people is an instinct. Putting on a show is not."
"Qing Jie, as a reporter and a fan of yours, I want to ask again about you coming out. Are you really gay?"
Lin Yuqing looked toward the person who had asked. It was a young woman in her early twenties, likely a rookie, who was clutching her voice recorder with both hands, looking excited.
When Lin Yuqing's eyes met hers, the young woman's expression grew even more thrilled.
"Yes, I am."
A collective gasp went through the crowd. To speak so openly about such a matter in public—only she had the nerve!
"Furthermore," Lin Yuqing paused, her face filled with pride, "while I was on Mount Kema, with my best friends as witnesses, I married my lover."
"Ah!?"
"Is it that female university student from the rumors!?" the young reporter asked, extremely excited.
"That's a private matter, so I won't be disclosing any more details."
"Also, I have retired from the entertainment industry. I'm just an ordinary person now. I hope you will stop paying so much attention to my life. As for the Flower Witch, she has asked me to decline all interviews on her behalf. She has no desire to be famous."
"If there's nothing else, I'll be leaving." In high spirits, Lin Yuqing waved to the crowd and strode away with Fang Yi.
The reporters were dumbfounded. When had Lin Yuqing become so expressive? And it felt like her entire demeanor had become several years younger.
"That… that's it? It's settled just like that?" Fang Yi was completely bewildered. Since when were these reporters so easy to dismiss? And given the commotion just now, she thought for sure something bad was going to happen!
"What else? I gave them a bombshell piece of news. Isn't that enough to get rid of them?"
"Oh, so you deliberately told them about your marriage to distract them, so they wouldn't have time to investigate the Flower Witch for now?"
"But this will put a lot of pressure on you, and your reputation…"
"What's there to be afraid of? I've already retired and I'm not going to act anymore. What do I need a reputation for?" Lin Yuqing said dismissively.
"…" Very good, very willful.
As they were talking, her phone rang. Without even looking, Lin Yuqing knew it was Xiao Ye. She quickly answered, "Yes?"
"Auntie Lin, are you okay?"
"I'm fine, don't worry. It's all taken care of. We're heading home now. Where are you guys?"
"Really? That's great! We're still on the road, almost home."
"Okay."
"Auntie Lin, did you publicly announce our marriage?"
"Hmm?" Lin Yuqing was taken aback. How did the news travel so fast? Had it spread in the blink of an eye?
"Is that really what happened? Mother is so smart, she guessed it right away!"
"Eh?" Xinran guessed it?
"What else did your mother say?"
"Mother, you're amazing! How did you guess?"
Lin Yuqing waited for a moment, but the other side seemed to have no intention of acknowledging her. Fine, then. Being ignored was a daily occurrence. She was used to it.
"That Xinran… she's as clever as they come!" she exclaimed with genuine admiration.
The two of them got in the car and headed home at a leisurely pace. It felt as if a great weight had been lifted, and she felt much lighter. It turned out that speaking the truth wasn't as hard as she had imagined. Why hadn't she dared to be open about it before? Was it because she cared too much about her reputation?
"What do you plan to do now that you're not acting anymore?"
"Maybe start a business. Xiao Ye has to go to school, and I need to keep myself busy, otherwise I'll always be thinking about…" Lin Yuqing suddenly stopped.
"Oh? Always thinking about what?" Fang Yi's gaze was anything but innocent.
Lin Yuqing shot her a look. I'm not telling you!
"By the way, if you hear of any good projects, keep an eye out for me. I really don't know anything about business. I've spent half my life focused on acting. Suddenly changing careers, I feel a bit helpless."
"Why do you have to change careers? You love acting so much. Have you considered becoming a teacher, like Lu Qing?"
Lin Yuqing didn't know whether to laugh or cry. "As if any school would dare to hire me. How can someone with a 'stain' on their record be a teacher?"
Fang Yi rolled her eyes. Who talks about themselves like that?
"By the way, is Lu Qing coming to the dinner today?" Fang Yi asked.
"None of them are coming. Lu Qing went back to the school, and Jiang Boyan seems to have gone to Mount Kema."
Fang Yi secretly breathed a sigh of relief. She no longer knew how to interact with Jiang Boyan.
"Alright, I'm a free agent now anyway. If you start a business, I'll help you," Fang Yi said breezily.
"Hmm?" Lin Yuqing suddenly realized. After Jiang Boyan's confession, Fang Yi had been ignoring her for a long time. She had previously held a nominal position at Jiang Boyan's company, so after all this, their professional relationship must have fallen apart.
"Okay, does that mean I can just lie back and make money?" Lin Yuqing teased. After all, Jiang Boyan's entertainment company was mostly run by her subordinates. She herself was a completely hands-off boss, making money while lying at home.
Fang Yi really didn't want to talk to her. This person was getting more and more shameless with age!
"When is Xiao Ye going back to school?"
"About that…"
"Hmm?"
"I want her to transfer to a different school, for a fresh start."
"Did she agree?"
"I haven't discussed it with her yet. I'll ask for her opinion when we get back."
"Well, well, look at you. You actually know how to ask for someone's opinion now. No more dictatorship?"
"When have I ever been a dictator!"
Fang Yi smiled. Had this woman forgotten what she used to be like?
"Alright, not bad. Xiao Ye has reformed you quite well. Auntie Fang is very pleased. You must keep up the good work," Fang Yi teased.
"Have you thought about having a child?"
"Hmm? I haven't really thought about that." Lin Yuqing was stunned for a moment. A child? But Xiao Ye was already a child. Another one? She wouldn't be able to handle it. And what if she paid too much attention to the new baby and made Xiao Ye jealous? That was highly likely to happen. After all, Xiao Ye was such a little ball of jealousy.
"I think you could consider it. Look at Xinran and Yilan, they had a child in their twenties too."
"I'll discuss it with Xiao Ye when I get back."
"Okay, then I'm calling dibs on naming the child!"
"Xinran's right there. How would it ever be your turn!"
"You heartless woman!"
Comments
Post a Comment