MQSP - Chapter 69
Chapter 69
"Xiao Ye, can you go keep Flower Auntie company tomorrow? I need to go down the mountain for a bit." Lin Yuqing said, drying the little one's wet hair with a towel.
"Hm? You're going down the mountain by yourself?"
"Mhm. If I take you down the mountain, you're always running off. I'd worry."
"What's that supposed to mean…" Baiye pouted. Could that reason be any more flimsy!
"Auntie Lin, why do I get the feeling that the way you look at Flower Auntie is strange?"
Lin Yuqing froze. Was it that obvious? Even the little one had noticed? It looked like she would have to be more discreet.
"No, not at all. I'm just curious how she managed to build a house and plant a flower garden all by herself. I admire her very much."
"That's true. Flower Auntie really is incredible."
"Alright, time for bed."
Lin Yuqing lay awake all night. Over the past two days, under the pretext of going down the mountain to fetch water, she had asked the nearby families about the Flower Witch. The Flower Witch had lied about one thing—she wasn't a local, nor did she live on the mountaintop year-round.
She had spent eight years building a manor at the foot of the mountain all by herself. She only went to the mountaintop to cultivate seedlings. The winter orchids were difficult to sprout and required meticulous care. Once they grew into seedlings, she would transplant them into the manor's gardens.
She and Xiao Ye had first come here because they'd heard about a sea of orchids that bloomed through all four seasons. Xiao Ye had insisted on seeing it, and that legendary sea of flowers had been created by the Flower Witch's own hands.
If before Lin Yuqing had only been suspicious of the Flower Witch's identity, now, she was almost certain—she was Xinran!
It was just that, right now, she couldn't reveal her identity to Lin Yuqing, and she certainly couldn't reveal it to Xiao Ye.
Lin Yuqing knew Gu Xinran's personality too well. She definitely wouldn't want Xiao Ye to see her in her current state, and even less would she want to become a burden to Xiao Ye. Just like their meaningful conversation the other day, as long as Xiao Ye was happy, that was enough. There was no need for her to disturb Xiao Ye's life again.
So even though she knew her dearest friend was right in front of her, Lin Yuqing forced herself not to pierce that thin veil. She only asked Xiao Ye to spend more time with her, while remaining tight-lipped and not revealing a single word to the little one. As for herself, after realizing the Flower Witch's identity, she hadn't visited again. She didn't dare to go. One reason was that she was afraid she would lose her composure. She couldn't imagine what kind of life Xinran had lived all these years; just thinking about it made Lin Yuqing's heart ache. The other reason was… the woman had entrusted her child to her care, but she herself had… how could she have the face to see her?
The next morning, after sending Xiao Ye up the mountain, Lin Yuqing went down. She headed straight for their temporary lodging, charged her phone, and then impatiently dialed Xia Xiaozi's number.
The New Year was approaching. Her original plan was to go back and celebrate with everyone. After all, it had been so many years since they had all properly gathered together, and besides, they all missed Xiao Ye very much.
But now, she had changed her mind. She wanted to stay, to spend the New Year with Xiao Ye, and to keep the Flower Witch company.
"Xiao Zi, we're not coming back for the New Year this year. I'll give you an address. Can you mail something to me?"
"Eh? You're not coming back? Didn't we agree…"
"Something came up. We'll go back after the New Year."
"I've already bought your plane tickets, and now you're just saying you're not coming back…" Xia Xiaozi's voice was clearly a little disappointed, but a moment later she perked up. "Alright, give me the address, and I'll get it done for you."
"Mhm."
As for Baiye, she could help the Flower Witch by cooking a meal, wiping her sweat, or being a general helper, but when it came to cultivating seedlings, she couldn't get involved at all. She was mainly afraid of ruining Flower Auntie's hard work, which would be a terrible thing to do.
However, Baiye didn't stay idle. She asked the Flower Witch how to make a rocking chair and was now studying how to do it. She wanted to make a two-person one, so she and Auntie Lin could lie in it and rock back and forth. Just the thought of it was wonderful.
"You…"
Xiao Ye was focused on carving a piece of wood when she suddenly heard a voice and froze. Huh, Flower Auntie rarely spoke first!
"Hm? What is it, Flower Auntie?" She quickly trotted over and squatted down beside the Flower Witch.
"You…" The Flower Witch pursed her lips. "How did you and Lin… get started?"
"Me and…" Baiye was taken aback. Ah, she hadn't expected Flower Auntie to be interested in this kind of thing~
"Mhm…" Baiye lowered her head, fiddling with a clump of dirt.
"You… pursued her, right?" Seeing Xiao Ye's shy expression, the Flower Witch's beautiful eyes rippled with amusement.
"Mhm," Baiye mumbled in agreement, nodding, her face flushing slightly.
"Can you tell me about it?"
"Um… I've admired Auntie Lin since I was very young. She's very beautiful and a good person, she just doesn't talk much and always seems cold and distant."
"Back then, in my heart, she was like a star in the sky—bright and beautiful, yet unreachable. I tried everything I could to get closer to her. At first, I just hoped to live in the same city as her, so I worked hard to get into a university in her city. But then she actually took me straight to her home to live with her! You have no idea how excited I was! To her, it might have just been a casual gesture, but to me, it was a huge step forward!"
"But back then, she probably didn't know she was raising a little white-eyed wolf with ulterior motives!" Baiye pursed her lips, hiding a smile.
"Auntie Lin saved me when I was at my most helpless. Maybe it was that day… her embrace was so warm, I could never forget it. Later on, my admiration for her gradually evolved into a longing—a longing for her to hold me like she did when I was little, a hope that she would speak to me in a gentle voice. And then, that longing turned into possessiveness. I wanted her to be mine alone, to only hold me!"
"How did you win her over?"
"Well… I'm a little confused about that myself…" Baiye scratched her head. She felt like she hadn't even officially started pursuing Auntie Lin yet. They just had some more intimate contact, but she hadn't launched her final offensive, and then Auntie Lin had inexplicably confessed to her…
"Rather than saying I won her over, it was more like things just fell into place naturally?" Then she also told her about how she worked hard to get into the cast and film with Auntie Lin.
Once she started talking, she couldn't stop. She ended up introducing all the other aunties as well.
"After we came back from Auntie Jiang's, Auntie Lin confessed to me. She was the one who initiated it!"
"She even kissed me in front of everyone," the little one said, her face filled with happiness.
The Flower Witch—no, Gu Xinran—really wanted to reach out and touch her cheek. Her little angel… the way she smiled truly warmed her heart to its very core.
"After that, the aunties all ganged up to tease Auntie Lin, making her call them 'Auntie' too. Auntie Lin couldn't take it anymore, so she ran away with me."
Hearing this, the Flower Witch let out a soft laugh. That group was the most boisterous, especially Su Yu and Xue Yuexian. They had always been the troublemakers.
"Oh, right, Auntie Jiang also grows orchids at her house, all kinds of them. That's where I saw the Broad-Leaf Winter Orchids. But her orchids are grown in pots and meticulously pruned. They're beautiful, but they aren't free."
"Auntie Jiang…" The Flower Witch froze for a moment.
"Mhm, Auntie Jiang is very good to me too. Oh, right, she also had a secret crush on my mother!"
Hearing those two words—"my mother"—from Xiao Ye's lips, Gu Xinran could no longer contain her emotions. She turned away and wiped the welling tears with her sleeve.
Xiao Ye didn't notice the Flower Witch's action and continued reminiscing on her own. "I haven't told you about my mothers, have I? Actually, I'm different from other people. I don't have a father, but I have two mothers! They loved each other very much, and they were very brave, daring to walk the path they wanted to walk!"
The Flower Witch's heart trembled. She opened her mouth, "Your… your mothers…"
"Hm? Although I don't remember what my mothers looked like, Auntie Lin showed me their photos. They were so beautiful! Especially Mother Yilan. I think if it were me, I would have fallen in love with her too."
As Baiye spoke, she moved a little closer to the Flower Witch and whispered, "She's even more beautiful than Auntie Lin!"
The Flower Witch smiled, but tears gathered uncontrollably in her eyes. Yes, her Yilan was the most beautiful woman—kind-hearted, pure, and lovely. No one could compare.
"Flower Auntie, what's wrong?"
Baiye pursed her lips. "Actually, when I see other people being doted on by their parents, I feel sad sometimes. But I've never once blamed them for the path they chose. On the contrary, I admire them, respect them, and I'm proud of them!"
"If only… if only Mother Yilan hadn't given up… then Mother Xinran wouldn't have followed her in death…"
"At first, I used to resent Mother Xinran for running away, for being irresponsible. But now I can understand them. Ever since I got together with Auntie Lin, I feel like I can't live without her. If she weren't by my side…"
Baiye paused and shook her head. "I can't imagine a life without her."
"Mother Xinran must have felt the same way."
"If there's anyone to blame, it's that they loved too deeply."
At this, Baiye thought of her two mothers again. A sharp pain seized her heart, and her eyes had long since turned red. She pursed her lips and widened her eyes, trying not to let the tears fall. Auntie Lin had told her to be strong; she didn't want to see her crying because it would break her heart.
Just as she was feeling miserable, a soft, warm hand rested on her cheek, stroking it very lightly and gently.
Baiye froze, looked up at the Flower Witch, and gave her a small smile.
The Flower Witch couldn't help but pull her into an embrace, gently stroking her back. Xiao Ye took the chance to bury her face in her shoulder.
Thank you, my little angel. Thank you for your understanding and acceptance. If there is a next life, I want to be your mother again. I so want to give you all the most precious love.
Comments
Post a Comment