MQSP - Chapter 59
Chapter 59
It had been three days.
For the past three days, the online debates had been relentless. Lin Yuqing's silent response took everyone by surprise. Just as Jiang Boyan had said, all she needed to do was make a statement, and various professional PR teams would handle the rest for her. And yet, she refused to even do that.
What made Gu Baiye even more anxious was that, for the past few days, she had lost contact with Auntie Lin!
She hadn't been able to get through to Lin Yuqing's phone for three whole days!
The news from Auntie Xiao Zi was that the Old Fellow had somehow gotten stuck in a rut and was stubbornly refusing to come out and explain anything. Yesterday, after getting annoyed with Xia Xiaozi, she had locked herself in her room and hadn't come out since. She had even been on a hunger strike for a full day!
Fang Yi had gone, but it was no use. No one could persuade her.
Upon learning that Lin Yuqing had locked herself in her room, Gu Baiye grew frightened. She was unconsciously reminded of how her mother, before she passed away, had also locked herself in her room alone, ignoring everyone.
"Auntie Jiang, please let me go back. Let me go and try to persuade her."
"No. Right now, although her house seems calm on the surface, there are definitely a lot of paparazzi hiding in the shadows, waiting to get a shot. It would be trouble if you were photographed."
"But Auntie Jiang, there are many residents in that building. I can disguise myself as one of them to get inside. They can't possibly be staking out every single floor, can they?"
"No."
"Auntie Jiang, I know that with your resources, getting me inside wouldn't be difficult at all. I'm begging you, please let me go back!"
"Xiao Ye, be good. It's not safe for you there."
"It's precisely because it's not safe that I have to go back! I want to be with her. I want to stay by her side! Auntie Jiang!"
"You can't. Since she entrusted you to me, I have to be responsible for your safety. That's enough. Stop talking and go to bed."
Jiang Boyan pointed to Gu Baiye's bedroom, her expression uncharacteristically cold.
Gu Baiye pressed her lips together and clenched her fists. "Auntie Jiang, do you remember what I told you the other day? I know you want to protect me, but I'm not some delicate flower. I'm a person with my own thoughts and feelings. I have things I want to do and people I want to see. I have my own will and principles. These past few days, you've been with me almost constantly, even staying by my side when I eat and sleep. You've taken care of me meticulously, just like a mother."
"Here with you, it seems like I have no worries, that I'm completely carefree, but…"
"But my heart has never truly been at ease for a single day."
"You… could you just… indulge me a little more this once and let me go back? Please?"
Hearing the choked sob in Gu Baiye's voice, Jiang Boyan turned her face away. After a moment of silence, she said, "Go back to your room for now."
Gu Baiye lowered her gaze, turned dejectedly, and pushed open the door to her room.
Seeing her so upset, Jiang Boyan was moved for a moment. But she truly didn't want to let the girl take such a risk.
Gu Baiye sat on the edge of her bed, watching tears fall onto her lap. She was still so useless. At a time when Auntie Lin was in so much trouble, all she could do was hide away and cry silently.
Remembering how Auntie Lin always told her to be stronger, Gu Baiye raised a hand and wiped her tears away.
She had to find a way back. She had to get back to Auntie Lin's side and convince her to make a statement. She couldn't just sit here and wait for disaster to strike!
With that thought, Gu Baiye sniffled, forcing her tears back. She took out her phone and scrolled through it, only to feel helpless all over again. She only had the numbers of a few of her "aunties," but they were all on the same side now and wouldn't help her. Auntie Xue might, but unfortunately, she didn't have her contact information.
She would have to rely on herself.
Gu Baiye paced around the room, trying to think of a plan. Her eyes fell on the air conditioner controls on the wall, and after a moment of contemplation, an idea formed in her mind.
She hesitated for a moment. It was risky, but it should work.
With that, Gu Baiye carefully locked the bedroom door from the inside. She set the air conditioner to its lowest temperature and highest fan speed, then stepped into the bathroom, turned on the shower, and stood under the cold water.
It was already autumn, and the weather was no longer hot enough to need air conditioning at home; opening a window for ventilation was usually sufficient. When Gu Baiye stepped out of the bathroom, she shivered violently.
She hadn't taken off her clothes in the shower, and now she was soaked to the bone. Stepping suddenly into a room where the temperature was less than twenty degrees Celsius, the consequences were easy to imagine.
Jiang Boyan lay in bed, tossing and turning, unable to sleep. She replayed what Gu Baiye had said to her, chastising herself for being too harsh. Had she hurt the girl's feelings?
After some thought, Jiang Boyan got up, turned on the light, and decided she should go talk to her again.
She knocked on Gu Baiye's door.
"Xiao Ye, are you asleep?"
Jiang Boyan waited a moment, but there was no reply. Figuring the girl had too much on her mind to be asleep, she tried the handle, only to discover the door was locked from the inside.
"Xiao Ye?" Jiang Boyan froze for a second, then knocked again, more urgently. "Xiao Ye? What are you doing?"
She pressed her ear to the door but couldn't hear a single sound.
Jiang Boyan grew anxious. She frantically rummaged through a drawer for the spare key, then suddenly remembered she could get into Gu Baiye's room from the balcony. Without even stopping to put on her shoes, she ran over.
Pushing open the glass door, Jiang Boyan was hit by a wave of cold air. She quickly pulled back the curtains and stepped inside. The sight that greeted her made her heart clench. Gu Baiye was sitting on the floor directly under the air conditioner, hugging her knees. She was wearing soaking wet clothes, and the cold air was blasting down on her. Her expression was dazed.
"Xiao Ye, are you crazy!" Jiang Boyan rushed to turn off the air conditioner, then immediately scooped the girl up and carried her back to her own room.
Jiang Boyan laid her on the bed. The girl was practically frozen, trembling uncontrollably, her face frighteningly pale. Jiang Boyan quickly embraced her, trying to warm her with her own body heat.
"Someone! Call a doctor, quickly!" she yelled out the door.
"I… I don't want a doctor… I want to go home… home…"
"Nonsense!" Jiang Boyan was furious. She never imagined this usually well-behaved child would do something to harm herself! But looking at her sickly appearance, her brows furrowed in discomfort, and her pale, bloodless lips, Jiang Boyan couldn't bring herself to scold her any further.
"If you see the doctor obediently, I'll take you back." She finally relented. She was genuinely afraid of what other foolish things the child might do if she didn't give in.
"No… I want to go back…" Gu Baiye's voice was weak, but her tone was exceptionally firm.
"Xiao Ye!"
"I promised to take you back, and I keep my promises. Don't you believe me?"
Hearing this, Gu Baiye turned her head slightly but didn't respond.
Jiang Boyan sighed. The child really held a grudge against her now. "Xiao Ye, be good. Auntie keeps her promises; I won't go back on my word. But seeing you like this, I'm truly worried. Even if you go back to your Auntie Lin, she'll be worried sick too."
Gu Baiye closed her eyes without responding.
Jiang Boyan felt powerless. All she could do was hold her tightly, trying to warm her up.
Before long, the doctor arrived.
Jiang Boyan glanced at the little one, who was still silently protesting with her eyes closed. "Xiao Ye, can you let the doctor take a look first, please?"
She spoke softly, trying to coax her. But after waiting a moment with no response, she realized the girl had lost consciousness.
"Quickly, quickly!" she called to the doctor in a panic.
When Gu Baiye regained consciousness, her head felt heavy and her eyes ached. Her throat was dry and itchy, and it felt like she was breathing fire every time she opened her mouth. Her whole body was sore and weak, and she was burning with a fever. It was awful.
"Cough…"
"Xiao Ye? You're awake?"
"Where… cough… where is this…?" Her voice was so weak she could barely make a sound. She forced her eyes open, her mind blank for a moment.
This… was still Auntie Jiang's house…
Gu Baiye raised a hand to rub her head, but Jiang Boyan quickly pressed it down. "Don't move. Be good."
"I…"
"I want to go back…" Gu Baiye clenched her fist, a sharp pain shooting through the back of her hand. Without a second thought, she yanked out the IV needle.
"Xiao Ye, you!" Jiang Boyan was exasperated.
Gu Baiye closed her eyes and took two deep breaths.
"Go arrange for a car." Jiang Boyan had the doctor staunch the bleeding from her hand, then stepped outside to give the order.
Hearing those words, Gu Baiye finally breathed a sigh of relief. At the same time, she felt a pang of guilt. Forcing Auntie Jiang to compromise by using her own health as a bargaining chip… she felt truly sorry, but she'd had no other choice. She would have to apologize properly to Auntie Jiang later.
In the car, Gu Baiye stared out the window. It was pitch black outside. It was only three in the morning.
Jiang Boyan sat beside her, rubbing her aching forehead. She had brought the doctor along, and they were escorted by two other cars carrying more than a dozen security guards.
Wrapped in a blanket, Gu Baiye said nothing, nervously fidgeting with her fingers.
As they neared Auntie Lin's apartment complex, Gu Baiye finally turned to look at Jiang Boyan's exhausted face.
"Auntie Jiang… cough… Auntie Jiang, I'm sorry…"
Jiang Boyan managed a small smile. "If we weren't almost there, you wouldn't have said a word to me, would you?"
"Auntie Jiang, I… I know what I did was absurd, but I truly hope you can understand me…"
"I can't handle you anymore, anyway. I'll let Lin Yuqing deal with you." Jiang Boyan was clearly mentally and physically exhausted by her.
Gu Baiye looked guilty and tried to scoot closer to her, but she didn't have the strength. Seeing this, Jiang Boyan shifted over, letting the girl lean against her.
Gu Baiye smiled faintly. "Auntie Jiang spoils me the most." She closed her eyes and rested her head on Jiang Boyan's shoulder.
Jiang Boyan gave her a helpless look. The girl rarely, if ever, acted cute with her. "You, on the other hand, are the best at making me angry." She put an arm around her and placed a hand on her forehead. She had the doctor apply a cooling patch to her forehead first. The little one didn't resist this time. Seeing her drooping eyelids and listless expression, she was clearly feeling awful.
As the car entered the complex, Jiang Boyan explained the situation to the security guard at the gate. She had the bodyguards from the other two cars get out early and disperse around Lin Yuqing's building to patrol the area. Fortunately, it was late at night, when people were at their most tired. With so many of their own people around, even if there were paparazzi, they would only be able to take photos from a distance and wouldn't dare approach.
Jiang Boyan wrapped Gu Baiye up tightly and, bringing the doctor along, took the elevator directly from the underground garage up to Lin Yuqing's apartment.
Gu Baiye keyed in the passcode with practiced ease, but when she tried to push the door, it didn't open. It seemed to have been bolted from the inside.
Seeing this, Jiang Boyan called Xia Xiaozi and asked her to open the door.
At this hour, Xia Xiaozi was surprisingly still awake. She immediately ran to open the door. "Xiao Ye, what are you doing back here?"
The group entered the apartment. Gu Baiye glanced around. The place looked the same as before, and she noticed the ink that had been on the door was now cleaned off.
"Where's… where's Auntie Lin?"
"Still in her room. I'll go get her. She'll probably come out now that she sees you're back." Xia Xiaozi hurried upstairs and knocked on the door.
Jiang Boyan helped Gu Baiye up the stairs. Staring at the tightly shut door from a distance, an inexplicable fear welled up in Gu Baiye's heart. She couldn't imagine what she would find behind that door, and she didn't dare get any closer. She just stood frozen on the stairs, waiting for it to open.
"Qing Jie, Xiao Ye is back! Aren't you going to come out?"
The words had barely left her mouth when the sound of footsteps came from inside the room.
The moment the door opened, their eyes met.
Gu Baiye's eyes were red-rimmed, but she smiled without realizing it.
Lin Yuqing was visibly startled for a moment, but her gaze softened.
Gu Baiye let go of Jiang Boyan's arm. The blanket slipped from her shoulders as she gripped the banister and climbed the last few stairs. She stumbled, practically crashing into Lin Yuqing's arms. Lin Yuqing closed her eyes and held the small body tight, wishing she could meld her into her own.
"Why are you back?" After a brief embrace, Lin Yuqing came to her senses and looked at Jiang Boyan.
Jiang Boyan's expression was one of utter helplessness. "I can't handle her anymore. Just look at what she's done to herself." She tattled without a shred of mercy.
Lin Yuqing froze. Only then did she realize something was wrong with the girl in her arms. Her soft body felt like a little furnace. She touched her forehead. "You have a fever? What happened?"
"That's not all. She refused to see a doctor unless I brought her back. Look at her hand—she pulled the IV out herself! I was about to die from anger," Jiang Boyan continued her report.
Hearing this, Lin Yuqing tried to check the girl's hand, but the little one just hugged her waist tightly and refused to let go.
"Is what Auntie Jiang said true?" Lin Yuqing's tone was grim.
The girl looked up, meeting her gaze directly. "Why?"
"What?" Lin Yuqing frowned.
"Why won't you come forward and clarify things?"
"Auntie Jiang said she has a way to quell this storm if you just make a statement. Why won't you do it? Why… cough… why!"
Lin Yuqing tilted her head. "You answer my question first."
"No!"
"Why? Tell me why!"
Lin Yuqing looked down into the girl's burning gaze. After a long moment, she actually let out a soft chuckle.
"I can't." She relented, sighing helplessly. "I can't make a statement."
"What?"
"I don't want to lie anymore." Lin Yuqing smiled and gently tapped the girl's forehead, her eyes filled with a tenderness Gu Baiye couldn't comprehend.
"I don't understand."
Lin Yuqing frowned, cupped the girl's chin with her right hand, and tilted her head up. She lowered her own head, her cool, soft lips touching the girl's feverish ones. She traced them lightly with the tip of her tongue before sucking firmly on her lower lip, letting out a soft, satisfied sound as she pulled away. She looked down at the dazed girl.
"Now, do you understand?"
Gu Baiye's mind was already fuzzy, and now it was completely blank. She dazedly licked her lips, where the taste of Auntie Lin still lingered.
Understand… understand what…
Auntie Lin had kissed her… No, that wasn't right. This wasn't just a simple kiss. This was… a real kiss, wasn't it…
Auntie Lin had kissed her. Auntie Lin had initiated it! Did this mean…
Did it mean…
Oh god, what on earth did it mean?!
Xia Xiaozi and Jiang Boyan stared, their eyes wide in disbelief. The doctor, however, had the presence of mind to turn and face the wall.
Lin Yuqing ignored the others. She bent down, scooped the girl up into her arms, carried her back into the bedroom, and laid her on her own bed. Then she called the doctor in to examine her.
Outside the room, the other two women remained frozen in place.
"The worst possible development," Jiang Boyan muttered, leaning against the banister.
Xia Xiaozi still hadn't recovered from the shock.
Inside the room, Lin Yuqing grabbed the girl's hand to look at it. The back of her left hand was already turning into a large bruise. Annoyed and angry, she flipped the hand over and gave her palm a sharp smack.
Gu Baiye was still lost in the memory of that sudden kiss, staring dazedly at Auntie Lin's lips. The sudden smack startled her, and she snatched her hand back with a jolt.
"So you can still feel pain, can you?" Auntie Lin's expression was grim. Gu Baiye knew she was in the wrong and didn't dare argue. She shrank under the covers, peering out with wide, innocent, tear-filled eyes.
Lin Yuqing shot her a look, then turned to the doctor who was preparing the medication. She took a box of cooling patches from the medical kit and applied them to the girl's palms, the soles of her feet, and her forehead.
The doctor inserted another IV into Gu Baiye's hand and hung the bag, instructing Lin Yuqing to watch the drip and remove the needle when it was nearly empty. He then prescribed some oral medication, gave a few more instructions, and left.
After the doctor left, Lin Yuqing reached under the covers and unbuttoned the girl's jeans.
"Hey…" Gu Baiye yelped, immediately grabbing Auntie Lin's hand to stop her.
"What, you're in this state and you still want to resist?" Lin Yuqing glanced at her. Seeing her pitiful little expression made her want to laugh.
"I'm a patient! You can't bully me!"
"Patients should be sleeping obediently." Without another word, she pulled off the girl's jeans and tucked her tightly under the covers. "Sweat it out. You'll be better by tomorrow."
…I don't want to sweat it out…
Gu Baiye remembered the last time she was sick, when Auntie Lin had bundled her up in the blankets until she was sweating to death. She started to panic.
"When you're better, I'll settle this score with you. For now, close your eyes and go to sleep." Lin Yuqing's semi-threatening tone made the girl even more flustered.
"Auntie Lin…"
"I missed you…" Her nose was stuffy, making her voice sound soft and sweet, and exceptionally cute.
Lin Yuqing's heart warmed at her words. "Is this how you show you miss me?" On the surface, however, her face remained stern and her tone was still grim.
"Auntie Jiang wouldn't let me come back, and I couldn't get in touch with you. I was so worried. Auntie Xiao Zi said you locked yourself in your room and wouldn't come out or eat. I was so scared…"
"Alright, stop thinking about it. I'm fine now, aren't I?" Seeing that the girl was about to start crying, Lin Yuqing ruffled her hair.
"Then hold me." She pouted, putting on a shameless, wheedling expression.
Lin Yuqing gave her a helpless look, took off her outer layer of clothing, and got into bed, slipping under the covers to hold the girl's feverish body.
Gu Baiye smiled in contentment, nestling her head into the crook of Auntie Lin's neck and nuzzling against her. As expected, Auntie Lin's embrace was the warmest, most comfortable, and most reassuring place in the world.
After a while, Gu Baiye's eyelids grew heavy, but her mind kept replaying the moment Auntie Lin had kissed her. Auntie Lin's eyes had been closed, a serene little smile on her face. The tip of her tongue had been cool as it traced her dry lips, and then she had sucked on them… Hmm… her lips must have been pulled out of shape. This Auntie Lin was so bad!
Gu Baiye licked her own lips and glanced up at Lin Yuqing.
"Hey, Auntie Lin."
Lin Yuqing had been gently patting her with her eyes closed. Hearing the slightly gleeful tone in her voice, she had a feeling something was up. "Hm?"
"Open your eyes and look at me."
"Mm." Lin Yuqing lowered her head and opened her eyes to look at her.
"What you did just now, um…" Gu Baiye pouted. "That… what did that mean? I… I still don't quite understand."
Lin Yuqing smiled sweetly. "It was a warning. It meant you're asking for a spanking, and I'm about to give you one."
This little thing, trying to play games with me!
"…Liar."
"Tsk!"
"If you weren't sick right now, see if I wouldn't spank your bottom raw!" Lin Yuqing raised her voice, pretending to be angry again.
Gu Baiye glanced back at her. Hmm, her words are fierce, but her eyes are still so gentle. I don't believe you! She snuggled even deeper into Auntie Lin's embrace, laying the charm on thick.
And Lin Yuqing fell for it completely, wrapping an arm around her waist and stroking her gently.
"Do you really not understand?" After a long moment, Lin Yuqing asked softly, as if to herself.
Gu Baiye chuckled softly, her eyes still closed. "It's not that I don't understand. I just can't believe it."
"Hm?"
"I can't believe that the person I've liked for so long, loved for so long, would actually embrace me of her own accord."
Hearing this, Lin Yuqing looked down at the girl in her arms. Though her eyes were closed, tears were already streaming from the corners. She quickly raised a hand to wipe them away.
"It wasn't an embrace. It was a kiss. A deep kiss." Lin Yuqing nuzzled her cheek, then kissed the corner of her eye again.
"But I've never been in a relationship before," Lin Yuqing said, sniffling as she suppressed the excitement in her heart, her tone a little troubled.
Gu Baiye smiled through her tears, opening her wet eyes to meet Lin Yuqing's gaze. "I haven't either. What should we do?"
"Then we could… figure it out together?"
"Okay," Gu Baiye nodded. "But."
"Hm?"
"You can never say we're breaking up." She squeezed Lin Yuqing's palm, speaking earnestly, enunciating every word.
Lin Yuqing squeezed her hand back, brought it to her lips, and kissed it gently. "Then, I'm in your care."
The two of them looked at each other and smiled, though both their eyes were red-rimmed.
Gu Baiye tilted her head up. As if reading her mind, Lin Yuqing lowered her own head and closed her eyes.
A moment later, a soft kiss landed on her forehead. Lin Yuqing opened her eyes to look at her.
"I'm sick. I can't get you sick."
"Then get better quickly." Lin Yuqing paused. "I still have a score to settle with you, after all." Her tone shifted abruptly.
"…Can you take back that last part?"
Comments
Post a Comment