MQSP - Chapter 57

Chapter 57

Fang Yi parked the car and glanced back at the little one, who was still lost in a daze. She sighed inwardly. She knew how Gu Baiye felt about Lin Yuqing; being sent away alone to hide from the storm at a time like this must be incredibly painful for her.

She reached out and touched the little one's slightly red cheek, regretting that she had hit her.

"Xiao Ye, you have to trust her. Trust that she can handle all of this. Besides, everyone is helping her. She'll be fine, I promise you."

"But why did she send me away?"

"Before my mother passed away, she sent me away."

Fang Yi's heart skipped a beat. "What… what did you say?" Could it be? Did she remember what happened back then?

Everything they knew about Yilan's passing was just speculation. After all, no one had been there. They only knew that Yilan had been harassed by anti-gay activists, that she had developed depression from the torment, and that she had ultimately committed suicide by slitting her wrists.

"Don't worry, Yuqing would never do something like that. Xiao Zi is with her. Once I get you settled, I'll head over there too."

As she spoke, Jiang Boyan, who had been waiting by the door, walked over quickly.

Fang Yi got out of the car. "She's all yours. Take good care of her." She paused, leaning closer to Jiang Boyan. "Be very careful. She's not in a good state right now. She's extremely worried about Lin Yuqing, and I don't know what kind of foolish thing she might do."

Jiang Boyan nodded. "I understand." She opened the car door and leaned inside. "Xiao Ye? Do you remember me?"

Gu Baiye glanced at her and managed a strained smile. "Auntie Jiang."

"Yes, that's… huh? What happened to your face?" Jiang Boyan's gaze sharpened. She reached out to touch Xiao Ye's still-red cheek, but the little one turned her head to avoid it.

"It's nothing," Gu Baiye said, shaking her head as she obediently got out of the car.

"It's my fault. I was in too much of a hurry and slapped her."

"You should take a look at it. I'm heading back now." Afraid Jiang Boyan would start nagging her, she made a quick escape.

"Xiao Ye, Auntie Jiang cares about you a lot, so don't treat her like a stranger. Tell her if you need anything. Um… I'll let you know the moment I hear anything from your Auntie Lin's side, so don't worry. Just stay here peacefully for a while. Once this blows over, I'll come get you."

"Okay." Gu Baiye nodded, giving Fang Yi a deep look. She felt as though Fang Yi had a thousand things she wanted to say but was forcing herself to hold them back.

"Drive safe," Jiang Boyan added. She closed the car door and watched Fang Yi leave.

Seeing the little one beside her staring blankly at the gate, lost in thought, Jiang Boyan affectionately took her hand. "Xiao…"

Gu Baiye instinctively flinched and pulled her hand away.

Jiang Boyan was visibly taken aback.

"I'm sorry, Auntie Jiang, I…" Gu Baiye bit her lip. This visit felt different from the last. The last time, Auntie Lin had been with her, along with her aunt and Auntie Fang—all familiar people, so she hadn't been so shy. But this time, she was all alone, staying for a while in the home of an aunt she barely knew. Her sense of insecurity was returning.

"It's alright. Let's go inside first." Jiang Boyan didn't try to take her hand again. Instead, she led the way into the house.

"You must not have eaten, rushing over here so early in the morning. How about you have something to eat first?" Jiang Boyan's voice was soft and incredibly patient.

Gu Baiye was in no mood to eat, but before she could refuse, Jiang Boyan had already sent someone to make arrangements.

Jiang Boyan had Gu Baiye sit on the sofa and asked a maid to bring an ice pack and a towel. She wrapped the ice pack in the towel and gently pressed it against Xiao Ye's cheek.

"I can do it myself." Gu Baiye had just raised her hand when Jiang Boyan pressed it back down.

"Don't be a stranger with me. Just let me take good care of you."

Gu Baiye pursed her lips. "Auntie Jiang, can you help Auntie Lin?"

"I am helping her. Don't you worry, we're all helping her," Jiang Boyan said, removing the towel and pressing her palm against Xiao Ye's cheek. "Does it still hurt?"

Gu Baiye shook her head.

"That Fang Yi, honestly. The next time I see her, I'll teach her a lesson for you."

"There's no need. I was the one who was too anxious and lost my composure. Auntie Fang was right. I need to calm down and not fall into disarray, or I'll just cause trouble for everyone."

"I'm glad you can think that way." Jiang Boyan smiled in relief.

She only had a few sips of congee for breakfast before losing her appetite. Jiang Boyan noticed she seemed unwell and figured she hadn't rested properly the night before, so she took her to the bedroom after breakfast.

The bedroom prepared for Xiao Ye was an inner room connected to Jiang Boyan's own, separated by a single door, but their balconies were connected.

Although from inside Auntie Jiang's bedroom, through the full-length glass door, she could see all kinds of flowers growing on the balcony outside, which looked very pleasant, staying in a room like this made her feel very insecure.

She couldn't help but worry that someone might easily enter the room through that glass door. Even if they didn't come in, just seeing a strange figure outside the glass would be enough to give her nightmares for days.

So, after Jiang Boyan prepared her pajamas and left the room, the first thing Gu Baiye did was pull the heavy curtains tightly shut, not letting a single sliver of light through. Only when the glass door was completely hidden did she feel a little more at ease.

Gu Baiye didn't change into her pajamas, nor did she get into bed. She still needed to adjust to this sudden new environment.

She curled up on the sofa in her clothes. The moment she closed her eyes, all sorts of terrifying images flashed through her mind. She couldn't stop her thoughts from running wild, and the more she thought, the more her heart pounded. She couldn't fall asleep for a long time.

Jiang Boyan gently pushed the door open, wanting to see if the little one was asleep, only to find the bed empty.

"Auntie Jiang?"

"Hm?" Hearing the voice, she looked over and saw her lying on the sofa.

"Why aren't you in bed? Are you not comfortable?" She walked to the sofa, sat on the edge, and placed a hand on Xiao Ye's waist, patting her gently.

Gu Baiye shook her head. "I'm just not used to it yet."

"Auntie Jiang, could I use your phone? I want to call Auntie Lin."

Jiang Boyan smiled. "It's probably best not to call her right now."

"Huh?"

"I just called her a moment ago, and she gave me an earful for waking her up."

"Really?" Gu Baiye was taken aback.

"Yes. Xiao Zi took the phone afterward and said she barely slept at all last night and was just starting to catch up. I told her I'd have her call back when she wakes up. She's resting and recharging, so shouldn't you be getting some proper rest now, too?"

Gu Baiye let out a breath, her heart settling a little. "Thank you, Auntie Jiang. I am feeling a bit sleepy."

"Good. Go to sleep. Do you want me to stay here with you?"

Auntie Jiang's enthusiasm made it impossible for her to refuse, so she could only nod.

Jiang Boyan went to the bed, brought back a blanket to cover her, and then sat on the edge of the sofa, patting her gently. She was just short of humming a lullaby to coax her to sleep.

Gu Baiye found it a little amusing. Auntie Jiang, just how old of a baby do you think I am?!


She slept exceptionally soundly, perhaps because she hadn't rested well the previous day from all the fear and anxiety. When she woke up, it was already afternoon.

Gu Baiye stretched contentedly. Before she could even open her eyes, she heard a soft chuckle beside her. She quickly looked up and realized that she had somehow ended up in bed, with Auntie Jiang sitting beside her, watching her intently.

"Auntie Jiang?"

"Yes. Did you sleep well?"

"Very well, thank you. Have you been here with me the whole time?"

"I have. You're just too cute when you sleep." Jiang Boyan couldn't resist stroking her head. This time, she didn't pull away. It seemed she was becoming less of a stranger.

Gu Baiye frowned slightly. "Auntie Jiang, please don't treat me like a child. I don't need someone to watch me while I sleep…" As she spoke, the little one's pretty face flushed red.

"I want to watch you. I missed nineteen years of you growing up. I want to make it up to you."

"You don't owe me anything, so you don't need to make anything up to me."

Jiang Boyan's expression shifted slightly, and she quietly withdrew her hand.

"Oh, right. Is Auntie Lin awake?"

"Yes, she is. She called just a little while ago. I saw you were sleeping so soundly, so I didn't wake you."

"Then can I use your phone to call her?"

Jiang Boyan nodded, took out her phone, dialed Lin Yuqing's number, and handed it to Xiao Ye.

"Thank you!" The little one was visibly happier.

The phone had barely rung twice before the other end picked up.

"Hello? What is it?"

It was Auntie Lin's voice!

Gu Baiye didn't respond.

"Boyan? Is something wrong?"

"Liar."

The person on the other end was clearly stunned for a moment, then let out a soft chuckle. "You have no manners!" she said in mock anger.

"…You big liar!"

"Are you asking for another beating?"

"You promised you wouldn't leave me. What is this? Do you think I'm a burden?!"

"Nonsense. Your Auntie Jiang likes you a lot and has been wanting you to come stay with her for a few days. Since you can't go out lately anyway, what's the difference where you stay? She lives all alone, practically an empty-nester. The poor thing. Just keep her company for a few days."

Gu Baiye was amused by her words and couldn't keep a straight face any longer. "Auntie Jiang heard everything."

Beside her, Jiang Boyan rolled her eyes and pouted helplessly.

Lin Yuqing chuckled on the other end. "Alright, just be a good girl and keep her company. I'll come pick you up in a few days."

"Really? You're not lying to me anymore?"

"Yes, really."

Hearing that definitive answer, Gu Baiye finally breathed a sigh of relief. She had been genuinely afraid that Auntie Lin didn't want her anymore!

"Then you have to be extra careful!" Judging by Auntie Lin's tone, her state of mind seemed quite good—much better than her own.

"I will. Don't worry about me, just take care of yourself. If you need anything, just tell Auntie Jiang. Don't treat her like a stranger."

"Mm, I know."

"Okay, I'm hanging up. I'm going to eat."

"Hey, wait, um…" Gu Baiye hesitated, wanting to ask if Auntie Lin could give her a kiss, or maybe she could blow one to her. But with Auntie Jiang watching her, she was too embarrassed to say it.

Just as she was struggling, a very soft smacking sound came through the phone.

"Hanging up," the voice on the other end said, and the call ended.

Gu Baiye stood there, holding the phone in a daze. Was that sound just now Auntie Lin kissing her? Or was it just an accidental smack of the lips?

"What's wrong?" Jiang Boyan took the phone and glanced at it. The call had already been disconnected.

"N-nothing." The little one was inexplicably excited. Auntie Lin… she kissed me!


After the call with Lin Yuqing, Xiao Ye visibly relaxed. She was no longer on edge and anxious, and simply considered herself to be visiting to keep Auntie Jiang company.

Since the little one was awake, Jiang Boyan brought out the loungewear she had prepared for her to change into. One should be comfortable at home, after all.

"Auntie Jiang, what do you usually do when you're home alone?" Gu Baiye had fully embraced her role as a volunteer for the lonely and elderly.

Jiang Boyan didn't know whether to laugh or cry. "Mostly, I tend to my flowers, drink tea, sunbathe, read, and keep up with the latest news."

Gu Baiye's head started to ache just listening to it. That was practically the life of a senior citizen! And Auntie Jiang was still so young!

"Don't you manage your company's affairs?"

"Someone else is managing it. Isn't it nice for me to be a carefree, hands-off boss?"

Jiang Boyan led the little one to the garden pavilion for afternoon tea. The little one looked at the dazzling array of desserts on the table, a bit at a loss.

"I had a pastry chef come in specially to make these for you. Try them and see if you like them."

"For me…" Gu Baiye's head ached even more. "Auntie Jiang, you don't have to go to all this trouble for me…"

"It's no trouble."

Oh my god, these sugar-coated bullets of capitalism were coming on too strong. She couldn't handle it.

Sitting in the pavilion, Gu Baiye watched as Auntie Jiang examined a potted flower, occasionally trimming its branches and leaves. She grew curious.

"Auntie Jiang, why are you trimming it? I think it looks perfectly fine as it is."

"I'm shaping it beautifully so it will look good when it grows."

Gu Baiye frowned. "I thought pruning was just about cutting away the surrounding weeds or dead branches and leaves. Isn't it better to let it grow freely?"

"Hmm?" Jiang Boyan smiled. "Then what's the difference between it and the wildflowers on the roadside?"

Gu Baiye sighed helplessly, propping her chin on her hand. "Should I say you have OCD, or are you just too controlling?"

Jiang Boyan's hand paused, her expression changing slightly.

"Did I say something wrong? I'm sorry, Auntie Jiang, please don't take it to heart!"

"No." Jiang Boyan forced a smile. "Someone else said the same thing to me. Am I really that controlling?"

"I was just saying. Um… who was that person?" Gu Baiye asked, her face full of curiosity.

"Who else could it be? Your mother. She always said I was too controlling." Jiang Boyan sighed and put down the shears.

"Um… Auntie Jiang, may I venture a guess?"

"Oh? Guess what?"

"First, you have to promise you won't get mad, whether I'm right or wrong."

"Alright. I have a very good temper, not like Lin Yuqing who flies off the handle at the drop of a hat. Go on, I'm listening."

Auntie Lin's temper is much better now!

"I don't think you actually like orchids, nor do you like gardening."

"Why do you say that?"

"When I watch you prune these flowers, you don't have a look of affection. It's more like you're completing a daily, fixed task. My memories are hazy, but I vaguely recall that my mother Yilan also liked to grow flowers, but she never spent every day with a pair of small scissors, trimming the flowers into the shape she wanted."

"And I think that when you like something, it's right to protect it, but you also have to give it some space. Like these flowers. Transplanting them into a pot is a form of protection, but you won't let them grow freely. You insist they grow according to your will, into a shape that you like. Is that still protection? Isn't that a bit overprotective?" As Gu Baiye spoke, she reached out and touched a flower bud. She remembered the serene smile that would appear on her mother's face whenever she watered her flowers, and she smiled sweetly herself.

Jiang Boyan was silent for a long moment.

"Auntie Jiang? You promised you wouldn't get mad."

"Hm? I'm not mad."

"Actually, you're right, but…"

"But?"

"I'm truly not good at raising flowers, and I'm not particularly fond of orchids. But your mother was."

"Your mother Yilan, she loved orchids more than anything. She raised all kinds of them, caring for them as if they were her own children. You probably have some memory of that, right?"

"Mhm."

"Her greatest wish was for her and Xinran to find a secluded paradise, hidden from the world, and live in seclusion. She didn't care if they only had simple meals every day. As long as she could be with the person she loved, she could find joy even in the humblest of lives."

"Xinran promised to take her to live in seclusion in the mountains, to plant a sea of flowers for her with her own hands, to build a manor for her, and to let her live a carefree life. She thought about it and longed for it every day, waiting for that day to come."

"But Gu Xinran… she lied to her."

"Lied to her?" Gu Baiye was shocked.

"Yes, she lied to her. Gu Xinran couldn't let go of her fame, her achievements, all those worldly possessions. She was deceiving her. She took on one film after another, constantly acting, while she just kept placating and appeasing Yilan. She settled you and your mother in a remote little town precisely because she was afraid you'd be photographed by the paparazzi and it would affect her reputation."

"That's impossible! You're wrong, it wasn't like that! Auntie Lin said she loved my mother very much, that she loved us!"

"If she loved you, where was she when something happened to Yilan?"

"She…" Gu Baiye didn't know. She had never asked Auntie Lin, but she believed Auntie Lin wouldn't lie to her. Her mother Xinran loved them very much!

"Auntie Jiang, you don't like my mother Xinran, do you?" Gu Baiye said after composing herself.

Jiang Boyan froze, realizing she had lost her composure. She quickly adjusted her emotions. "No, it's not like that. I'm sorry, Xiao Ye. I shouldn't have spoken about her that way. I apologize."

Gu Baiye pursed her lips. She figured that since Auntie Jiang also liked her mother Yilan, that made her a love rival to her mother Xinran. In that case, it made sense that she wouldn't like Xinran. And if that was the case, then what she said about Xinran wasn't very credible.

With that thought, Gu Baiye felt a little better. She nodded, accepting her apology.

"It's getting dark. Let's go back inside." Seeing the sky gradually dimming, Jiang Boyan stood up, placed the flowerpot on a stand, and called for Xiao Ye to come back into the house.

Seeing that it was almost dark, Gu Baiye started to worry about Lin Yuqing again. She wondered if those people would come back to trouble Auntie Lin tonight.

"Don't worry. Fang Yi has already arranged for bodyguards to protect her. If anyone tries to harass her again, they'll be in for a world of hurt." Jiang Boyan saw her worry and quickly reassured her in a soft voice.

"Okay."

"Fang Yi told me you're a great cook, that your skills are quite good. Would you be willing to make something for me to try?"

"Uh… Auntie Fang, she was just exaggerating. My cooking is average. I only know how to make a few dishes, and they're not that delicious."

"What? Are you still mad at me for badmouthing your mother?"

"Ah? No, of course not. I'm not that petty. It's just that I…"

Well… actually, I only want to cook for Auntie Lin. Auntie Fang and my other auntie are just incidental!

But seeing Jiang Boyan's slightly disappointed expression, Gu Baiye relented. "Alright, but don't complain if it's not good."

"Okay!"

When she opened the refrigerator, Gu Baiye's head started to ache. It wasn't that there were no ingredients, but that there was every kind of ingredient, many of which she couldn't even name or identify. After picking through them, she settled on familiar dishes: stir-fried broccoli, winter melon and pork rib soup, chicken leg mushroom stir-fry with meat, and a simple tomato salad with sugar. For two people, three dishes and a soup, with meat and vegetables, hot and cold, it was a fairly substantial meal.

She was carefully arranging the food on the plates when she suddenly let out a cry of surprise.

Jiang Boyan had just turned to set the table. Hearing the sound, she hurried back. "What's wrong?"

Gu Baiye's hand, holding a piece of food, paused. "Auntie Jiang, do you need to control your portion sizes?"

"Hm?" Jiang Boyan was confused as she watched her place a small amount of each dish onto a little plate.

"Auntie Lin has to control her portions. When she eats, she uses a small plate to portion out her food, just enough for her to eat. Once it's gone, it's gone."

Jiang Boyan frowned. "I didn't see her controlling her portions the last time she ate at my house."

"Exactly! That's why she gained two pounds when she got back, and Auntie Xiao Zi has already banned her from eating meat," Gu Baiye said with a mischievous giggle, clearly enjoying the other's misfortune.

"You like Auntie Lin a lot?"

"Huh?" Gu Baiye lowered her head. "Y-yes, I do. Because Auntie Lin is very good to me."

"What kind of 'like' is it?"

"Um… I can't really say. It's just a simple kind of like." She played dumb. "I like Auntie Jiang, too. Auntie Jiang is also very good to me."

Jiang Boyan couldn't help but smile at her words. "You're certainly better at saying sweet things than your mother was."

"Hehe, let's eat!"

Comments