CSGM - Chapter 80

Chapter 80: I'll Come Pick You Up

After the call, Ren Zhi hung up and found Chu Xi standing behind her.

She concealed the weariness from her conversation and smiled warmly. "Sorry, I was talking to my assistant about something and it took a while. Have you been waiting long? What's up?"

Chu Xi said, "Nothing much. I just wanted to ask where you're going now that the training camp is over."

Ren Zhi smiled. "I have to handle some studio matters, and then I'm going to work on the songs you gave me."

Chu Xi scratched the skin behind her ear.

"I just heard someone invited you to dinner."

"Yes, they did."

"When? Lunch or dinner?"

After she asked, Ren Zhi didn't answer. Instead, she looked at her quizzically- why was she asking this?

Chu Xi's lips suddenly curved into a grin, and she said with a shameless smile, "I'm done with the training camp too. After eating such bland food for so long, can you take me with you to dinner? The director said we still have seven days before filming starts, so I have a nice little break."

Ren Zhi was silent.

For a moment, she felt a bit of admiration for her ability to so directly ask to freeload a meal so shamelessly.

"Take me with you. You can just say I'm your temporary assistant," Chu Xi continued to plead.

"Not this time." Ren Zhi shook her head.

It wasn't that she was being stingy, but this wasn't an ordinary dinner. She wasn't the one hosting, so she couldn't make that decision.

"Tell me what you want to eat, and I'll treat you to a feast the day after tomorrow when I get back. Don't say I'm cheap; any price is fine. But I can't take you to a dinner someone else is hosting. I have business to discuss this time."

Chu Xi sighed.

"Alright, I get it."

As Ren Zhi packed her luggage, Chu Xi paced behind her for a long time, still feeling uneasy.

Remembering how sick Ren Zhi was from drinking the last time she came back, Chu Xi grew even more worried.

Besides, the phone call had sounded fishy to her.

-This was well-intentioned eavesdropping. Ren Zhi wouldn't blame her!

After a moment of silence, Chu Xi asked again, "Will an assistant be going with you?"

Ren Zhi replied, "Yes, Xiao Ju will be waiting for me."

Xiao Ju?

That unreliable, still-immature little assistant, Wei Yiju, again.

Chu Xi rubbed her brow and said tactfully, "Why don't you give her a day off? I'll come pick you up that day. I'll wait for you outside, okay?"

Ren Zhi turned her head, amused. "What are you trying to do?"

Chu Xi answered honestly, "I'm worried about your personal safety."

Ren Zhi said, "You don't need to worry about that. It's just a normal dinner."

Normal?

Chu Xi didn't believe it was normal for a second, unless she herself wasn't normal.

But seeing Ren Zhi's reluctance to talk about it, she didn't press the issue.

Until the morning of the dinner-

Chu Xi used an unknown number to call Xiao Ju. Thankfully, she had glanced at and memorized Xiao Ju's phone number the night she slept over with Ren Zhi.

"You have a package for delivery. When will you be home today so I can bring it over?" a young, energetic male voice asked Xiao Ju.

"Huh? What package?"

"SF Express."

"Oh, okay. I'll be home all morning and afternoon. You can bring it then," Xiao Ju said, clearly a little wary, but not much.

"Okay, I'll dispatch it to you then."

After speaking, the internet-addicted youth looked expectantly at Chu Xi. Chu Xi hung up the phone and scanned his WeChat payment code, sending him two hundred yuan. "Go have some fun."

So, the dinner was in the evening.

If Ren Zhi wouldn't take her, then she wouldn't take her. She could just go check it out herself.


In the afternoon, the internet-addicted youth was, as expected, still engrossed in games at the internet cafe.

Chu Xi patted his shoulder. "New job for you."

Xiao Ju once again received a call from the "courier."

"I'm so sorry, miss. I had too many deliveries today and yours got missed. Can I bring it to you now? Are you still at home?"

"Ah," Xiao Ju said, troubled. "I'm about to leave. Can you just leave it at the security booth?"

"Miss, this is a cash-on-delivery document. It has to be delivered directly into your hands," the youth said, reading from the text typed on the computer screen.

"Well… can you find the Yinglong Hotel? I'll wait for you at the entrance. Come in about thirty minutes. Don't be too early, or I won't be there yet."

"Oh, okay, I'm on my way!"

The call ended, and the youth received another two hundred yuan. He looked at Chu Xi with some suspicion.

"You're not tricking me, are you? You're not a human trafficker, right?"

Chu Xi gave him a look, then used his computer's browser to search her own name. A Baidu Baike page and a pile of photos appeared. Chu Xi pointed at herself.

"Am I?"

"Ah, you're-" a celebrity!

She was actually a celebrity!

Just as the youth was about to exclaim in surprise, Chu Xi went, "Shh."

The youth quickly shut his mouth and nodded.

Oh, right. Keep a low profile.

"So you really are preparing a birthday surprise for a friend. You're a pretty nice person."

"Alright, thanks. Study hard and play fewer games," Chu Xi said before quickly leaving.

She opened her phone. The destination on her navigation was now the Yinglong Hotel.


Half an hour later, Xiao Ju discreetly escorted Ren Zhi into the Yinglong Hotel.

Once inside the private room, Ren Zhi removed the disguise from her face, revealing herself.

"Sister Zhen," she said with a smile to the poised, fifty-something woman sitting at the head of the table.

She then greeted the other investors at the table before slowly taking her seat.

"The crabs are delicious this season, big and plump. I ordered a few eight-tael ones for everyone to try later," Sister Zhen said with a cheerful smile.

Ren Zhi's expression didn't change. She seemed to chat and laugh with this group of businesspeople with great familiarity, but her nervousness and unease were just hidden deep inside.

Before the meal, the conversation turned to Ren Zhi's career transition. Several of the businesspeople praised her for being bold, innovative, young, and promising. Ren Zhi smiled back at them, a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

-They were probably just waiting for her to go bankrupt and be forced to sell herself.

-They were all used to being investors; who would genuinely welcome her to the table to take a piece of the pie?

-This dinner was just an opportunity to get a hold on her. She had been keenly aware of their arrogance for years.

The entertainment industry was a dirty game, filled with dirty players.

Even though Sister Zhen had a kind face and was always smiling, if her appearance truly matched her character, she wouldn't have invited Xu Chaolong.

That was the old man who had once tried to harass Ren Zhi, only to have a glass of juice thrown in his face for his efforts.

Xu Chaolong was forty-five this year, with a lean build. He wore a pair of glasses that made him look like a refined scoundrel and was dressed in a suit, the very picture of a beast in fine clothes. He arrived late. When Ren Zhi looked at him, the corners of her lips curled slightly, but her face showed no other emotion.

After a few drinks, the host, Sister Zhen, casually brought up the topic Ren Zhi had discussed with her last time.

Ren Zhi wanted to buy the rights to a variety show and partner with two production companies, Hong Gang and Peng Yi. However, she wanted to be the chief producer.

To an outsider, this would sound like a fantasy.

Both companies had their own formidable strengths. Why would they let her- an artist- be the boss?

Of course, Ren Zhi was sensible and had offered terms that were tempting to both parties.

Not only was she willing to sign a valuation adjustment mechanism agreement, but she also promised to help both companies promote their new talent.

That was what led to this dinner and made the matter worth discussing.

It was just that Xu Chaolong's presence was inexplicable. During the meal, Ren Zhi figured that Xu Chaolong must have privately curried favor with Sister Zhen to be able to shamelessly show up tonight.

And as expected, the topic didn't spare her.

Sister Zhen said with a smile, "We're all partners here, Zhizhi. You really didn't give A-Long any face last time."

Xu Chaolong quickly interjected, "No, no, it was my fault for being rude after drinking too much. It's not Teacher Ren's fault. Come, Teacher Ren, let me apologize to you. I'll down this in one go, you can drink as you please!"

Sister Zhen gave her a meaningful look. "Zhizhi, you should make a gesture too. It's better for everyone to clear the air."

One played good cop, the other bad cop. Ren Zhi watched their little act with a humorless smile.

Although Xu Chaolong could hold his liquor, he was still a lightweight in front of her. Soon, his head was spinning and his face was red, and he was looking at her lecherously, saying he couldn't drink anymore.

Sister Zhen glanced over, only able to give him a look that said, "I gave you a chance, but you couldn't seize it yourself."

"A-Long, control yourself. Don't cause any more trouble!" Sister Zhen pushed the eager Xu Chaolong back into his chair and scolded him.

The two bosses from Peng Yi were also getting tipsy, and their demeanor towards Ren Zhi had changed. Now they were acting like "good buddies," their speech filled with a bit more bravado and frankness.

"You're even going to help us promote new talent, that's great, really great… I believe in your abilities. This… I don't see any problem with you wanting to produce a variety show. That stuff really makes money fast these days! Haha!"

Sister Zhen silently watched Ren Zhi negotiate with them, sipping her tea with a faint smile.

The young people these days were getting more and more capable.

Someone went to the restroom to throw up, then returned, his head full of impulsive thoughts. He couldn't help but reach a hand toward Ren Zhi, only to have her smilingly place a wine glass in it and guide it to his lips.

Alright, alright, just one more sip and it'll be fine, right-

Mhm, okay, another one-

Okay, okay, finish this glass, don't disappoint the beautiful lady's enthusiasm-

After drinking for a while, he slumped onto the table, forgetting what he had wanted to do just moments ago.

But he felt that Ren Zhi's voice was very pleasant, sweet-talking them into a daze.

Someone suddenly slammed the table. "Yes! I think this variety show is great!"

Someone else asked groggily, "Teacher Ren, is your proposal ready? If we hand it to you, what kind of ratings can you promise?"

In truth, they didn't even hear Ren Zhi's answer clearly. They just nodded along with the flow of the conversation. "Good, good, then I can rest assured…"

Using the once-again transparent wine glass, Ren Zhi saw the reflection of her own flushed cheeks.

Her eyes were slightly hazy, and focusing was becoming difficult.

She quickly took a moment to return to her seat and sent a message to Xiao Ju: 【The agreement can be brought in now.】

Comments