Against the Light - Chapter 84
Chapter 84: Loving Every Day
In the studio, even the host couldn't help but blush, completely overwhelmed by the sweetness of the couple's intimate interaction on screen. An infatuated grin spread across his face uncontrollably.
"What do our teachers think?" The host cleared his throat, trying to cover up his gaffe.
"I'd actually like to hear the esteemed opinions of the other two teachers first." Xie Ling had always been optimistic about this pair, while the other two teachers had always, intentionally or not, insinuated that they were just putting on a show. Now, she crossed her arms and looked at them with a smile.
The teacher who had always been skeptical of their relationship pursed her lips and remained silent.
"Hey, Teacher Liu, why don't you give us your commentary!" Xie Ling deliberately cued her.
"It does look very natural, and their dynamic is comfortable to watch. It's quite good. I'll keep observing."
Hearing this, Xie Ling rolled her eyes at her. It was a subtle expression, but it was keenly captured by the netizens.
【Hahahaha, Teacher Xie is so mischievous, deliberately cueing her like that, hahaha.】
【That eye-roll was so cute!】
【Is it weird that I find watching these old ladies bicker so interesting?? What's wrong with me!!】
【You're not alone, person above me. I think Teacher Xie is adorable too, haha.】
Back in the bedroom, the short afternoon nap came to an end amidst the chirping of cicadas.
Gu Xinran turned on her side and hugged Yilan, burying her face in her hair, reluctant to open her eyes. Bai Yilan patted her, and she playfully pressed her forehead against Bai Yilan's lips.
"You shameless old thing," Bai Yilan chided with a smile, letting out a casual, light cough.
Gu Xinran's eyes flew open. She immediately got up and went to the kitchen to pour her a glass of warm water.
"Are there any plans for the afternoon?" Bai Yilan asked.
Gu Xinran thought for a moment, then suddenly gave a mysterious smile.
"I'm giving you a difficult mission."
"Hm?"
Ten minutes later, the two of them were standing in front of the chicken coop. Bai Yilan stared blankly at the chicken, unable to believe what she had just heard.
"You… say that again???"
"You chat with it, help it preen its feathers, and get it to adapt to this environment as quickly as possible so it can start laying eggs sooner. It's called prenatal soothing," Gu Xinran said with a perfectly straight face.
"I…" Bai Yilan was speechless.
【Holy crap, hahaha, Sister Ran, I'm seriously impressed. Prenatal soothing, for real? Is she serious? Hahahaha.】
【The chicken: She's coming, she's coming, she's coming with a devious plan, hahaha. I knew this woman wouldn't let this chicken off the hook so easily.】
【Is… is this online egg-coaxing??】
【Damn, hahaha, Teacher Bai, you're suffering.】
"I… this…" Bai Yilan pressed a hand to her forehead.
"You can do it!" Gu Xinran said, then brought over a small stool for her to sit on in front of the coop, even giving her an encouraging look.
"…"
Yilan covered her face with one hand, feeling immense pressure.
After getting Yilan settled, Gu Xinran got busy herself.
First, she went inside and brought out all sorts of tools: an axe, a saw, rope, and even pulleys and slide rails. The collection was quite comprehensive.
Gu Xinran pondered for a moment, picked out four wheels, and fixed them into two pairs with wooden sticks. Then she found a few wooden planks, placed them on the wheels, tied them down with rope, and made a flatbed cart. After that, she told Yilan to be good and keep chatting with the chicken, then pulled the cart and headed out.
"Sister Ran, where are you going with that?" the cameraman asked, completely bewildered.
"To haul wood."
"???"
【I have a feeling she's actually going to build a house…】
【??? Sister Ran, are you serious?】
【Ranran, calm down, you don't have to do this!!】
【I'm a little curious, where did she learn all these life skills? Can she really build a house?】
【Damn, I'm actually kind of looking forward to it.】
Gu Xinran went up the mountain, searching everywhere for scattered pieces of wood.
Two hours later, she returned leisurely, pulling her small cart.
She only pulled a few small logs at a time, staying within her physical limits. Although it took several trips, her efficiency wasn't low.
After sorting the collected wood by length and size, she stacked it neatly in a corner against the wall.
She sat in the yard for a while to rest, watching Yilan and the chicken stare at each other.
"I think the audience probably thinks I'm crazy right now," Bai Yilan said, looking at her helplessly.
"It's fine. Be confident. You don't have to think it; they definitely think you're crazy," Gu Xinran said, propping her chin on her hand with a smile.
"You're not making things difficult for the chicken, you're making things difficult for me!"
"Hahahaha~"
Seeing Yilan about to get her feathers ruffled, Gu Xinran couldn't stop laughing!
Mm, daily dose of teasing my wife, check!
Before long, Gu Xinran rolled up her sleeves, grabbed her tools, and started working.
She went into the living room and moved the sofa outside.
"What are you doing?"
"I'm going to fix it so you don't bump into it and get hurt again next time." The memory of Yilan bumping into the sofa yesterday was still fresh in her mind. This had to be eliminated at the source!
Bai Yilan smiled faintly. "And what about those?" She pointed to the wood stacked neatly in the corner.
"Those are for making a swing. At night, we can sit here, under the flowers and the moon, admiring the stars, the moon, and a certain beauty~" Gu Xinran winked at her.
"Pfft, I don't want to sit with you. I want a single one."
"I flatly refuse." Gu Xinran's smile was exceptionally bright. As she spoke, she leaned her face closer, the meaning clear: if you give me a kiss, I'll consider your opinion~
In response, Bai Yilan smeared a faceful of chicken feathers on her.
【Hahaha, my Ran is too mischievous. You can tell she's been spoiled rotten by Teacher Bai!】
【Teacher Bai! You can't spoil a naughty kid. You have to discipline her when she needs it!!!】
【Handing Teacher Bai a washboard [smirk]】
【Hahaha, nice one, Teacher Bai, but you're still missing a washboard!】
【Sob, Mom, I love this couple so much, they're so full of love, ahhh—】
【Is she serious about making a swing? I'm looking forward to it!】
Gu Xinran began to work with her head down. Bai Yilan would glance at her from time to time, helping her out. Whenever it came to a slightly dangerous task like nailing wood, she would naturally push Yilan away to avoid any chance of her getting hurt.
Soon, the sofa was repaired. Gu Xinran even used sandpaper to smooth down the rougher edges. She then deliberately walked around the sofa twice to make sure no one would bump into it again.
After that, she immediately threw herself into making the swing.
Two hours later, the frame of the swing was already built. Gu Xinran started sanding the wooden planks for the seat. Her movements were skilled and natural, every step familiar, which drew endless exclamations of amazement from the audience, who called her a true hidden gem of a girl!
In the evening, Qi Qiuyan and her partner came over with groceries to crash for dinner. As soon as they entered the yard, they saw a swing standing there and were stunned.
"Wh-where did this come from?" Qi Yuwei walked over, tugged on the rope—it was quite sturdy—and circled the swing several times, absolutely loving it.
Qi Qiuyan watched her from the side, her gaze falling on the swing, lost in thought.
"Hey, you're here." Gu Xinran heard their voices and came out to welcome them into the house.
"Ah Wei, go help Sister Lan with dinner," Qi Qiuyan said.
"Oh."
Watching Qi Yuwei go into the kitchen, Qi Qiuyan quickly pulled Gu Xinran into the yard. "Did you make this?" she asked, looking at the swing.
"Yeah."
"Can you teach me?"
"Of course… but why~?" Gu Xinran's tone shifted as she asked, feigning ignorance.
"Uh… I just, want to learn."
"Hey, she's not even here. Why are you being shy with me?"
Qi Qiuyan shot her a reproachful glance. "I saw that Ah Wei really likes it, so I want to make one for her to play on. Happy now?"
Gu Xinran laughed and nodded readily, explaining the various construction steps to her. Qi Qiuyan listened and took mental notes very seriously.
After dinner, the group went for a walk to aid their digestion before heading back to their respective homes.
Gu Xinran and Bai Yilan sat on the swing, rocking gently. They looked up at the star-filled sky, talking and laughing, completely at ease. Finally, they leaned their heads against each other, their faces radiating sweetness.
【Sob, I'm not jealous at all, really.】
【So envious. The way they live their lives is truly enviable!】
【As long as your loved one is by your side, anywhere is home. Sob, I won't admit I'm jealous.】
【Ranran is so romantic—I'll let you guys have Teacher Bai, Ranran is mine!】
The next morning, the first thing Gu Xinran did after getting up was sneak over to the chicken coop for a look. She didn't see any eggs and was a little disappointed. So, she simply sat down in the coop and started having a heart-to-heart with the chicken. When Bai Yilan came out and saw this scene, she nearly died laughing!
After breakfast, everyone gathered to go shopping at the market. Gu Xinran headed straight for the household goods section, buying some paint and a few construction supplies. On the way back, they passed the live poultry area, and she found herself unable to walk away again…
When Gu Xinran got back to the car, Ruan Tang nearly kicked her out again.
"What are you doing holding a goose! Are you trying to open a zoo at your house?!" Ruan Tang leaped onto Wei Zhan again, looking panicked, terrified of being bitten by the goose.
Gu Xinran beamed. "I'll raise it for a few days and see if it lays eggs. If not, I'll stew it for you guys."
"I strongly request that we don't bring her to the market next time. Who knows what other weird animals she'll buy!" Ruan Tang had just finished speaking when she saw Bai Yilan walking over, holding a bamboo basket that contained two fluffy yellow ducklings.
"…" Could this be any more ridiculous?
"Hey, let me interview you two. Are you planning on settling down here? Why are you raising so many small animals?" Ruan Tang was incredibly curious. They were just here to film a variety show, but these two looked like they were genuinely living their lives to the fullest.
Gu Xinran's eyes curved into a smile. "Whether we settle down here is another matter. But every day I'm with Yilan, I have to love it to the fullest. I can't just make do."
Hearing this, Bai Yilan also looked at her, and the two shared a smile.
"Well said," Qi Qiuyan nodded in agreement.
【Aww! Ranran said it so well. Only those who have lost something know how to cherish it more. I believe you two will treasure each other even more!】
【So well said. For the sake of your loved one, you must also love this world to the fullest!】
【Say no more, sister. Just go get remarried after the show is over. You two are a perfect match!】
【The chicken hasn't even laid an egg, and now she's gotten a goose. I can just imagine when they get home, Xinran will press Teacher Bai into the coop and make her give the goose prenatal soothing [doge]】
【Hahahaha, stop, I can picture it!!】
【Teacher Bai: ???】
Comments
Post a Comment